Two Conference Titles | Two NCAA Tournament Appearances | One Academic All-American | One All-American

Colonels late comeback attempt falls short against Tigers in SAA action

Colonels late comeback attempt falls short against Tigers in SAA action

DANVILLE, Ky. - The Centre men's lacrosse team fell to Sewanee, 11-6, unable to overcome a four-goal second quarter from the Tigers at Farris Stadium on Saturday afternoon. 

With the loss the Colonels fall to 4-6 (0-3 SAA) on the year while the Vikings improve to 7-4 (3-0 SAA). 

Neither team was able to find the back of the net until late in the first. The Tigers jumped out to a 1-0 lead with one minute remaining in the frame, courtesy of Daniel Burnam. 

Centre and Berry exchanged early goals in the second quarter, with the Vikings taking commanding three goal lead into the locker room. Sewanee extended their lead to 2-0 at the fourteen-minute mark, courtesy of Hayden Hunt.

Freshman Padraic Dermody (Louisville, Ky.) cut the Tigers' lead in half just three minutes later. Hunt answered for the Tigers with five minutes remaining in the half, extending their lead to 3-1. 

At the two-minute mark, freshman Nic Malubay (Louisville, Ky.) got the Colonels back in scoring column. Freshman Jack Shannon (Palisades, N.Y.) assisted on the play. 

Sewanee would score back to back goals before the half. 

The Tigers continued to dominate the Colonels in the defensive zone in the third quarter, extending their lead to 8-2. Jake Vaughn paved the way for Tigers, scoring a pair of goals in the frame. 

Sewanee continued to pressure Centre early in the fourth, tacking on two more goals before seven-minute mark. Jake Vaughn tallied his second of the contest while Ryan Young scored his first. 

Down 10-2 the Colonels began to find their groove, scoring four consecutive goals. Dermody got Centre back in the game with a quick strike from the 20-yard line at the six-minute mark.

Junior Leland Gray (Louisville, Ky.) followed suit on the following possession off of an assist from Shannon. Malubay rejoined the scoring parade, dishing out back to back goals and cutting the Sewanee lead to four. 

The Tigers extended their lead to 11-6 with just over one minute remaining in the contest. 

Centre was unable to respond in the final seconds. 

Malubay paced the Colonels with a hat trick, a pair of ground balls, and a caused turnover in the defeat. 

Centre will hit the road this Tuesday to face Transylvania at 7 P.M. ET.